Gardening with Ciscoe ( www.ciscoe.com ) Recipes
Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- 2 pounds fresh Brussels sprouts
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed with garlic press
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Trim tough ends from Brussels sprouts.
In 4-quart saucepan over high heat, heat 1 inch water to boiling.
Add Brussels sprouts; heat to boiling.
Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 5 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are tender-crisp. Drain.
(If you like, Brussels sprouts can be cooked a day ahead.
After draining, rinse with cold water to stop the cooking; then cover and refrigerate until ready to stir-fry in step 3.)
- In nonstick 12-inch skillet over medium-low heat, cook bacon until browned.
Remove bacon to paper towels to drain; crumble.
- Pour off all but 1 Tbsp bacon fat from skillet.
Over medium-high heat, heat bacon fat and olive oil.
Add Brussels sprouts, garlic, salt, and pepper.
Cook, stirring frequently, until Brussels sprouts are browned, about 5 minutes.
Top with pine nuts and crumbled bacon.
Yield: 8 servings.
Don't forget to eat your Brussels Sprouts! ~ Ciscoe
In the mood for something other than Brussels Sprouts?
Check out all of the
recipes that I whipped up on Gardening with Ciscoe.
I confess that I had a little help from PCC Cooks Chef Lynne Vea.