Gardening with Ciscoe ( www.ciscoe.com ) Recipes
Brussels Sprouts with Browned Butter and Almonds
- 1 1/2 lbs. fresh brussels sprouts
- 1/2 C butter
- 3/4 C blanched slivered almonds
- Trim tough ends from sprouts, and cut an "X" into the base of the
larger ones, about 1/4" deep.
- Steam sprouts until done. Can't give you an exact time for this --
they're done when they're tender (I allow about 10 minutes or so). I
prefer steaming to boiling, as the sprouts don't get quite so soggy and
they seem to retain more color.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Heat,
stirring, until foamy and the milk solids just start to brown.
- Toss in almonds and stir briefly -- about 1 minute or so. Be careful
not to let the butter scorch or burn. Reduce heat.
- Toss in steamed sprouts. Stir gently over low-medium heat until
sprouts are totally coated with butter.
- Pour into serving bowl. Makes 6 servings (or 3-4 servings for sprout
Variations: try using different nuts. I've done this with walnuts and
hazelnuts, but I like the almond version the best.
Don't forget to eat your Brussels Sprouts! ~ Ciscoe
In the mood for something other than Brussels Sprouts?
Check out all of the
recipes that I whipped up on Gardening with Ciscoe.
I confess that I had a little help from PCC Cooks Chef Lynne Vea.