Gardening with Ciscoe ( www.ciscoe.com ) Recipes
Brussels Sprouts Soufflé
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 Tbls grated parmesan cheese
- 10 ounces Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 1 medium potato, pared and cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 4 egg whites
- Coat inside of 1-quart soufflé dish with the butter.
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the Permesan over bottom and sides of dish.
To make collar for soufflé, tear off a length of aluminum foil long enough to encircle dish.
Fold in half lengthwise.
Fasten collar to dish with string or tape so collar is 2 inches hight than rim.
- Preheat oven to hot (400º).
- Cook Brussels sprouts and potatoes in boiling salted water to cover until tender, about 15 mnutes.
- Place half the Brussels sprouts and half the potatoes in electric blender or food processor.
Add 1/4 cup of the cream.
Whirl until smooth.
Transfer to large bowl.
Repeat with remaining Brussels sprouts, potatoess and cream.
Transfer to bowl.
Stir in remaining Parmesan.
- Beat egg yolks into Brussels sprouts mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Stir in salt, pepper, nutmeg and hot pepper sauce.
- Beat egg whites in medium-size bowl until soft peaks form.
Fold into Brussels sprouts mixture until no streaks of white remain.
Pour into prepared soufflé dish.
- Place dish in preheated hot oven (400º).
Immediately lower temperature to moderate (375º).
Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until soufflé is puffed and golden.
Thanks to Kay who clipped this from Family Circle: November, 1984.
Don't forget to eat your Brussels Sprouts! ~ Ciscoe
In the mood for something other than Brussels Sprouts?
Check out all of the
recipes that I whipped up on Gardening with Ciscoe.
I confess that I had a little help from PCC Cooks Chef Lynne Vea.